When a car accelerates to high speed, it will exert more power and thus will consume more gas and more and faster work on the engine. With eco mode, it will optimize the engine to save energy, which uses fuel as its main energy source.
So yes, the eco mode makes the car slower to save fuel.
Car On Eco Mode
Eco or Econ mode is designed for a car to work on the car engine and other parts to have less fuel consumption. But how does the car work when it’s in eco-mode?
When the eco mode is activated, it influences the following:
- Throttle response – engine’s response will be sluggish and less strained when the accelerator pedal is pressed or released.
- Cruise control – setting the car’s acceleration and deceleration at a lower speed.
- Air conditioning – eco mode is more effective when the weather is not that hot. It makes the AC compressor run slower.
- Transmission – changes the transmission’s shift points for fuel economy.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does the Eco Mode save?
When people ask this question, they also want to know if the eco mode works or is effective. The eco mode saves fuel by up to 5% only.
This fuel-saving feature still has a bearing if you would consider it. For example, you tend to spend $200 on gas every month.
With eco mode, you can save $10 per month because of its fuel-saving mode on your car.
When should I be using Eco Mode?
It would be best if you turned on eco mode during slow days. These are the times when you’re just going to drive to a cafe to get coffee, when you’re stuck in traffic, or going for a visit in the park.
Otherwise, when you’re in a hurry, on a very long road trip, or trying to go uphill, you won’t be able to optimize the eco mode. This beats the eco mode’s purpose of slowing down the car to save fuel.
Also, the car’s AC on hot and sunny days should not be in eco mode, or you’ll compromise your car and your body temperature.
What is Sport Mode?
Sport mode is quite the opposite of eco mode. Generally, sports mode will consume more gas to accelerate if you want to go faster.
So, when you press the gas pedal up to 20%, the throttle response would be 50% more power out of the engine.
In automatic transmissions, sport mode also changes the transmission’s shift logic. But this is to hold the gears longer and also influences the gearbox to produce higher rpm, to get its range into making the most horsepower for acceleration.
What car brands have Eco Mode?
The following cars offer the Eco Mode feature:
Honda’s Eco mode features AC fuel-saving and the system on the cruise control for automatic transmission. Meanwhile, Toyota’s eco mode on some of their models is focused on energy conservation from heating and cooling systems.
Whereas Volvo has these striking features when the eco mode is activated:
- Some climate system settings will either be reduced or switched off
- With the ECO climate, its particular role is to be automatically activated in the passenger compartment
- Has an ECO gauge included in the dashboard panel that indicates and lets you monitor how your current driving is fuel-efficient
Can Eco Mode damage my car?
It’s fine to leave the eco mode on. Although, if you leave it activated, it will maintain its reduced performance to save fuel.