The need to store a large number of things and utensils in the kitchen constantly faces the problem of the limitedness of space. But you still have to fit the equipment, dining table, kitchen counter. One way to maximize the use of space is to install a pedestal stand under the refrigerator.
It is a cube-shaped cabinet resembling a pedestal. Its use provides a lot of advantages;
- You can make a small refrigerator or bull outdoor refrigerator stand higher. This will simplify the process of its operation and add aesthetics to the overall look;
- Extra storage space. Of course, perishable food cannot be put in such a box. But, these models of stands are very often used as a box for vegetables under the refrigerator;
- Takes up a minimum of space;
- Not big in size. You can not be afraid that you will have to sacrifice free movement in the pursuit of convenience;
- Mobility and lightweight. Will not add load to the floor under heavy equipment.
Frame Size and Materials
As a rule, the fridge itself should be purchased first. Based on the parameters of a particular refrigerator, a cabinet will be selected. The most common ones in width and depth are from 50 to 60 cm. If your refrigerator says 80 cm in width, then using a cabinet with the indicated above sizes is simply dangerous. The fall of such a heavy equipment can be very dangerous. In this case, you will need a cabinet with a width of 85 – 90 cm. It is desirable that there are a couple of extra centimeters on the sides. The distance between the bottom and the lid cannot be less than 20 cm. A height not exceeding 50 cm is considered optimal.
No less important is the frame strength. It is assembled from traditional elements with a rigid screed. It is worth choosing only the most durable materials:
- Wood. It can withstand the weight of even large equipment without any cracks. For this, you should not use thin sheet materials such as thickened plywood. It must be real wood. The most durable and affordable material is glued wood panels. Heat-treated wood is less common. But this method makes it resistant to all types of pests, microorganisms, etc. It also increases loads endurance;
- MDF. The material has sufficient strength and endurance. But you will have to increase the thickness of the sheet. If plates with a thickness of 16 mm are used as standard, then here you better choose 22 – 25 mm. This will reduce the risk of delamination and internal cracks, as the basis of the plate is made of compressed wood particles. It is better to use it as a small cabinet under a small refrigerator, or reinforce the frame withstands from metal angles (stiffeners);
- Metal. Another material with a guarantee that it will stand the test with dignity. Prefer corrosion-resistant alloys, so the cabinet retains its attractive design for longer.
No matter how you praise plastic, this material should be avoided. Even high-quality plastics are not able to withstand heavy loads for a long time. During operation, plastic slowly but surely loses in strength.
In fridge cabinets, there’s only one element of the storage system that is standardly used – a drawer. It can be 1 large or 2 smaller ones, arranged in a vertical stack. There are 2 types of withdrawal devices:
- Rollers. Most often installed in metal versions of cabinets. Slides are attached to the sides to move the rollers. Easy to pull out, but there is a risk of deformation of the slides with systematic overloads. This will cause the box to jam. To clean up inside you have to squat. The box cannot be pulled out completely without the risk of damaging the rollers. In this regard, lower rollers are preferable. They cut into the bottom of the section and partially protrude. The bottom of the drawer moves directly along them when extended. It is extremely difficult to break such a mechanism;
- Special stop. Used in cabinets made of wood materials. The narrow bar on the side of the box moves with the stop on the bar attached to the body. It will take some effort to pull out the drawer. Especially when it’s loaded. This process can be facilitated by rubbing the grooves with paraffin, wax. Or you can use ordinary household soap. The box can be pulled out completely. This will simplify cleaning;
- Metal basket. Very convenient. Stored vegetables are provided with additional ventilation. Usually made high, so there are several side rails mounted at once. In this case, they add extra rigidity to the basket.
Take your choice of base type seriously:
- Legs. Typical supports that are placed at the corners of the frame. If they are present, they must be metal. Also, select only short and wide ones. Only in this way can you provide stability to the cabinet. You might need to level the floor. After installing the refrigerator, any shakiness is undesirable;
- No legs, just sitting right on the floor. The most common option. In this situation, there is no need to remove small curvatures of the floors. True, if the differences are significant, then you can not do without a floor cement screed. Maximum stability needs to be provided;
- Basement system. It is used quite rarely. The main thing is the sidewalls of increased length. They can be combined with legs. A plinth plank with a width of 7 cm is attached in front. Being less wide, the plank will simply crack when attached. It also partially takes on part of the load. It has an additional decorative function.
Installing a cabinet under the refrigerator is an important step, despite its modest dimensions. Not only it affects the look of your kitchen, but also the safety of the fridge. So choose it wisely.