Milwaukee is one of the most innovative power tool and accessories manufacturers in the world. Since it started in 1924, it has been the favorite of plumbers, builders, electricians, and hobbyists around the world. They design and engineer power tools, hand tools, accessories, and industrial equipment that make even the heaviest and most difficult construction tasks quick and easy.
Among the power tools that Milwaukee is known for are their cordless drills and impact drivers. The cordless drill and the impact driver complement each other, and when doing serious drilling and driving work, they are necessary for your tool collection.
Nowadays, cordless tools can go pit against their corded counterparts and win the race by a mile. They deliver power and accessibility to spaces that their corded cousins cannot. They offer many capabilities that let you do the job more efficiently and conveniently.
Today, we will be taking a closer look at seven of the best Milwaukee cordless drills and impact drivers on the market. Let us see how these tools pack a serious punch when called into action.
Table of Contents:
- 1. Milwaukee 2704-20 M18 FUEL Hammer Drill/Driver
- 2. Milwaukee 2407-22 M12 3/8 Drill Driver Kit
- 3. Milwaukee 2606-22CT M18 1/2″ Drill Driver CP Kit
- 4. Milwaukee 2702-20 M18 ½” Compact Brushless Hammer Drill
- 5. Milwaukee 2703-22 XC M18 Fuel Brushless Drill/Driver
- 6. Milwaukee 2656-20 M18 18V 1/4″ Hex Impact Driver
- 7. Milwaukee 2753-20 M18 Fuel 1/4 Hex Impact Driver
- 8. Milwaukee 2462-20 M12 1/4 Hex Impact Driver
- 9. Milwaukee 2453-22 M12 Fuel 1/4 Hex Impact Driver
- 10. Milwaukee 2401-22 12-Volt Li-Ion Compact Driver Kit
1. Milwaukee 2704-20 M18 FUEL Hammer Drill/Driver
The Milwaukee 2704-20 should be necessary for every craftsman’s toolbox. Milwaukee is always pushing forward with their innovations, and it shows in this particular hammer drill. It is one of the most powerful in its class, but surprisingly one of the more compact, too.
This hammer drill can superbly drill both 7/8-inch holes and 2 1/8-inch holes, much more powerful than the previous model of which this is an upgrade of. Drilling 6-inch screws through hard and thick timbers can be done easily and effortlessly. This is a real beast in the construction site with its powerful torque and high speeds.
It runs using a brushless motor that gives you longer run time. It has the right amount of speed that offers you the ability to drill faster and better under heavy loads for increased productivity.
- Delivers maximum torque of 1,200 in. lbs.
- Comes with a ½-inch metal, single sleeve, ratcheting lock
- Offers 32,000 BPM
- Has speeds of up to 2,000 RPM
- Uses a Powerstate brushless motor
- Equipped with Redlink Plus intelligence
- Comes with a very useful side handle for better precision
- Uses Redlithium battery technology
This hammer drill is considerably heavier than other models and brands, but that may be something more of a pro than a con. Its weight can help prevent kickbacks in moments that you operate it at full power.
- Heavier than other drills
- The chuck sometimes gets loose and falls off
The 2704-20 is an exceptionally powerful hammer drill, ready to take on heavier duty jobs at the construction site.
2. Milwaukee 2407-22 M12 3/8 Drill Driver Kit
If you want to invest in a high-quality cordless drill to get your projects done quickly and effectively, then this is the drill for you. The 2407-22 is very suitable for professionals involved in the construction business because of its amazing specs. It comes with a very reasonable price that people who do homemade construction projects can appreciate as well.
Can handle medium to heavy-duty tasks, proven 35 percent faster than many other drills in its category.
- Delivers up to 275 in. lbs. of torque
- Two-speed transmissions of 0-400 RPM and 0-1,500 RPM
- Ergonomic design with its easy to grip handle
- Built-in LED lights
- Battery fuel gauge that displays your battery status
- Comes with two M12 red lithium batteries
- Includes a 30-minutes charger, and a carrying case
The battery is below average as it drains a bit more than other models, but since the kit comes with two batteries, and with the fuel gauge, this would not be a major issue.
- Needs improvement on battery life
- The carrying case is bulky
Serious craftsmen will want the 2407-22 in their toolboxes because of its efficiency and high performance. Ideal for light to heavy-duty workloads. Very affordable at just under $130, it packs quite the punch you would expect from bigger and heavier hammer drills.
3. Milwaukee 2606-22CT M18 1/2″ Drill Driver CP Kit
Designed for tough working conditions, the 2606-22CT is your best bet if you are planning to do a lot of hard drilling and driving jobs. It has a couple of advanced features that are sure to make your work more comfortable, relatively easier, and so much faster.
It is equipped with Milwaukee’s Redlink Intelligence that protects the tool against overheating and overloading. No more worries about burning the tool while operating it for an extended time. This model may be heavier than the others, but the weight is evenly distributed and is well balanced for easy control.
This drill runs on a 4-pole frameless motor, has a two-speed transmission that goes on a low gear speed of up to 400 RPM and up to 1,800 RPM in high gear.
- Delivers 500 in. lbs. of torque
- Comes with a ½-inch all-metal ratcheting chuck, compatible with a wide range of accessories
- Has a non-slip textured handle for good grip
- Has its own built-in battery fuel gauge
- Comes with Redlink Plus intelligence
- The charger can charge both 12V and 18V batteries
A bit holder and a belt clip could have made this driver the perfect tool, but they are not included in the kit. With a retail price of around $125, a bit on the expensive side.
- Doesn’t come with a bit holder or belt clip
This drill driver kit is a very amazing deal because of its versatility and power packed features. You can hardly find fault with this great value to the performance ratio power tool.
4. Milwaukee 2702-20 M18 ½” Compact Brushless Hammer Drill
The 2702-20 is engineered to make drilling easy and efficient. You can drive through blocks, bricks, concretes, and other materials safely and comfortably. This drill performs flawlessly with minimum effort on your part.
It has the hammer drill feature and a brushless motor for high-performance hole drilling. Its lightweight and compact body let you work in cramped or overhead spaces. It can reach areas that the fuller sized drills can’t.
Ideal for construction works because of its high power and hammer drill feature. Versatile enough for use in a wide range of applications and materials around the house as well.
- Weighs just under 3 pounds
- Gives you 500 in. lbs. of maximum torque
- With speeds of up to 800 RPM
- A power drill replacement part is included
- Compact and lightweight
- Has an all-metal gear case for extra protection against damage
There is little fault you can find with this drill other than it is sold as a bare tool, so you have to buy the batteries and charger separately. This would not be a problem if you already own other Milwaukee tools that use 18V batteries as they can be interchanged.
- Batteries not included
- Slightly expensive
The 2702-20 has smart features like the brushless motor and the hammer drill that make this drill a stand out and become the tradesman’s favorite.
5. Milwaukee 2703-22 XC M18 Fuel Brushless Drill/Driver
Not only can this drill handle the occasional DIY projects around the house, but it is also suitable for taking the big jobs. The 2703-22 is an upgrade of an older Milwaukee drill, meaning, this has better features than its predecessor.
This drill has a relatively small size that makes it perfect for getting in tight spaces like the insides of a cabinet or drawer. Very versatile and with its light weight, it won’t cause strain on the hands and arms.
It is one of the more powerful drills with peaks of up to 1,200 in. lbs., and with speeds of 1,850 RPM, it can easily drive a 1-inch diameter ship auger bit and drill a 2-inch hole.
- Comes with two-speed modes
- Has a ½-inch metal single sleeve ratcheting chuck
- Uses Redlithium XC 5.0 batteries for long drilling sessions
- Ergonomically designed
- Comes with Redlink Plus intelligence
- Side leverage handle is included
- Comes with accessories such as battery charging station, belt clip, bit holder
This driver weighs 3.14 pounds, making it one of the heavier drill drivers on the market. It may be a disadvantage to some, but overall, that weight can help you with more control when used with maximum power and speed.
- Heavy weight
- Not reasonably priced
A highly recommended drill for cable installations or going through brick and wood on a regular basis. It is well made and well built, this drill is sure to give you a long and reliable service.
6. Milwaukee 2656-20 M18 18V 1/4″ Hex Impact Driver
The 2656-20 deserves its place on this best cordless impact drivers list because of its very impressive features. It can easily drive different types of bits through any material. It is designed and marketed as a pro-grade tool, and that doesn’t surprise us.
This impact driver runs on Milwaukee’s trademarked 4-pole frameless motor that ensures you of longer life and higher output. As with almost all Milwaukee power tools, this is covered by a five-year warranty to back up its claim of a superior quality impact driver.
Lightweight and compact, but is packed with fierce power to get you through hard surfaces like a hot knife through butter. You can easily go through hardwood, metal, or plastic with ease and convenience.
- Delivers 1,500 in. lbs. of torque
- Capable of up to 3,450 IPM
- With speeds of up to 2,750 RPM
- Has a 1/4-inch quick-change hex chuck
- Equipped with a battery fuel gauge
This impact driver has no variable speed option but has enough speed to let you work on a variety of applications and materials. The battery takes longer than most to recharge. However, the charger can replenish it in a short time.
- Single speed only
- Battery takes more time to recharge
The 2656-20 has all the right features for your home improvement tasks such as mounting that TV or CCTV cameras, but it can also be great for woodworking or driving lag bolts. If you need a drill for repetitive drilling or driving, then this is the one for you.
7. Milwaukee 2753-20 M18 Fuel 1/4 Hex Impact Driver
The 2753-20 is so lightweight that it is only heavier than the battery by just half a pound! This is great if you use an impact driver all day or work in confined spaces. It has just the right power and speed that lets you assemble that handcrafted desk or help you with your deck building project.
This impact driver is equipped with a 4th drive control mode that has a self-tapping screw to reduce breaking, walking, overdriving and head damage. Alongside this are some additional capabilities that make it a great performer in its class.
- Provides you with 1,800 in. lbs. of max torque
- Has a capacity of 3,700 no-load IPM
- Comes with a built-in LED work light
- Runs on 18V Redlithium Battery tech
- Comes with Redlink Plus Intelligence
- Has a ½-inch keyless chuck type
- No load speed of up to 2,000 RPM
You have to pay extra attention when changing drill bits as it sometimes can get loose and fall off. It is sold as a bare tool, but this wouldn’t be a problem if you work at a construction site. Also, this is a non-issue when you already own a Milwaukee tool as the batteries are interchangeable.
- The bit can get loose at times
- No batteries included
The ergonomic design on the 2753-20 is phenomenal. The tool feels comfortable in the hands, and it is very easy to maneuver especially in cramped work areas. Great for your DIY jobs, automotive, home improvement, and other applications.
8. Milwaukee 2462-20 M12 1/4 Hex Impact Driver
A part of Milwaukee’s M12 Subcompact System, an entire line of cordless compact power tools that are geared towards being durable, powerful, and convenient. The 2462-20 is one among the over 60 tools in the M12 line and one of the more compact in design. It shares the same battery with all the tools in this system, perfect for your power tool collection.
This impact driver is equipped with Milwaukee Impact Mechanism technology that increases your productivity with its optimized fastening speed.
- Brushless motor
- Weighs just 2.3 pounds and measures 8 x 5 x 16 inches
- Delivers 1,000 in. lbs. of torque
- Provides speed of 2,500 RPM
- Comes with an onboard battery fuel gauge
While other impact drivers let you change bits one-handedly, you need to use two hands to do this with this tool: one to pull out the chuck and the other one to install the new bit. However, with its high speed of 2,500 RPM, you will not waste a second when changing bits.
- Two hands needed when replacing bits
- The carrying case could be better with more compartments
The 2462-20 is the ideal impact driver for those wanting a lightweight and compact tool that is easily portable but still gives them more than enough power. It gets the job done without much effort on your arm and wrist. It has a long battery life that would let you work longer, and many other features that provide you comfort and convenience affordably.
9. Milwaukee 2453-22 M12 Fuel 1/4 Hex Impact Driver
This impact driver is a small, but full-featured impact driver that is one of the tools in the M12 collection of 12V tools. It weighs almost half of the other impact drivers, but it can easily compete with tools when it comes to performance. Best suited for plumbing and carpentry work, this impact driver can also be used for your ordinary home improvement jobs.
This impact driver is equipped with a brushless motor that delivers more power, durability and longer tool life.
- Features a ¼-inch hex quick release bit holder
- Has two-speed settings
- Delivers 100 ft. lbs. of torque
- Comes with a battery status indicator
- Has a rubber grip handle
- Runs on 2.0 lithium ion batteries
One minor flaw of this impact driver that most users agree on is that the battery charge indicator lights up when the trigger is pressed. Also, unlike other power tools that have lights that provide no shadowing, the work lights on this tool throw shadows which can somewhat be annoying.
- Battery fuel gauge lights up when trigger is pressed
- Work light creates shadows
A small size does not mean less power; this impact driver proves that size does not matter. It can do more jobs than the full sized impact drivers easily because of its compact and lightweight design. A must-have for plumbers, woodworkers, construction workers, and carpenters.
10. Milwaukee 2401-22 12-Volt Li-Ion Compact Driver Kit
Designed for low to medium torque applications that need the frequent use of a clutch, the 2401-22 is built with high quality that is typical of all Milwaukee power tools. Ideal for driving small screws, this tool can drive more than 50 3-inch screws in one battery charge. If you require fastening a lot of screws, then this is the cordless driver for you.
This compact driver is ergonomically designed, offering you maneuverability especially when working in tight and cramped spaces.
- Has 15 settings clutch
- M12 battery system
- Equipped with a battery fuel gauge and charger
- Comes with a single-sleeve chuck for one-handed bit changes
- Has an integrated LED light
The 2401-22 has a low torque output and a very narrow user range. It not built for the heavier duty tasks, but when used in the right circumstances, this compact driver can be suitable for electronic professionals, hobbyists or homeowners.
- Not for heavy duty work
- No hammer drill function
This tool may not be for the big jobs, but it can do well for small appliance repairs and other electronics jobs. If precision and control are on the top of your priorities when choosing a compact driver, then the 2401-22 should be on your shortlist.
Milwaukee is a brand name trusted by professional contractors, craftsmen, tradesmen, and homeowners the world over. They merge innovation and technology in delivering efficient tools to the home and the construction site.
With this review, we hope that you can get a clear idea why Milwaukee dominates the power tool market. Check these out yourself to get a feel for how these drills and drivers made our list of the best cordless drills and impact drivers.